Subject: Re: [Leica] Portra
From: Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:26:45 -0500

Douglas Cooper wrote:

> Tell me, what do labs consider standard film -- i.e. what are they set up to
> process best?  Superia?  Gold?  Or does it generally not matter, except with
> Portra?
This depends on the lab, of course, but in a general way the standard
film will be the one that they get the most of.
Of two pretty good labs around here, one uses Gold 200 as its standard,
and the other Superia 200. The first one is affiliated with the Kodak QC
system (Imagecheck?) and uses Kodak chemistry and paper, and the second
one uses Fuji chemistry and paper on a Fuji machine.
Both of these labs cater to amateurs as well as professionals. A
pro-only lab would standardize on whatever the local pros use most. This
could vary a lot, depending on their mix of customers (wedding,
commercial, press, industrial).
Does it matter? To a certain extent. A good lab will be willing to set
up a channel for your favorite film, as long as it is commercially
feasible for them to do so, but they may not be willing to use a special
paper for you (i.e.: glossy in a wedding/portrait lab) unless you can
generate enough volume for them.

Bernard