Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Tricks to loading reels
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:19:46 -0500

> The ONLY film I have EVER double exposed was film, on which, I left the
> leader out.
>
> Sometimes I remove a roll from the camera mid roll and mark the
> leader with
> the frame number so I can reload it and continue later. I even double
> exposed one of those because I forgot to look at the underside of
> the leader.
>
> NEVER AGAIN!
>
> When I need to remove a roll before it is finished... I do. I wind it all
> the way in. I process it. It is not economical to try and save a
> half roll.
> Even 9/10 of a roll. When loading your camera in a hurried situation, you
> can indeed load the wrong roll.
>
> Wind those leaders in. Use a can opener to open the cassette. Don't pass
> the film through the felt(?) more than necessary. Dirty felt
> makes scratchy
> film.

I've never double exposed a roll...yet.  I tend to mark the film with a
Sharpie when I take it out.

I've never re-wound in mid roll, and I agree, re-using a partially used roll
is kind of a waste at least for me...but I do know some photographers that
every last penny counts...

I also found that when I was taking the film out of the can to roll it on
the reel, there was no good way to not just let it dangle there.  It was
easily subjected to being scratched.  How do you keep it from being
scratched?  I was concerned about scratching from the debris on the felt,
but I use compressed air to clean off any possible yuck on the felt.  I
found from experience that I get far far less scratches.  It really made a
huge difference.  It's already been through the felt twice, one more time
doesn't seem to add any damage.

I believe a lot of this stuff is personal habit and preference, and what
ever system works best for you, is no worse or better than anyone else's.