Subject: [Leica] Re: Portra
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:46:32 -0500

On 2/23/01 6:50 AM, Simon expressed the following:

> That is an interesting view of the Portra 160.  Doing some portraiture last
> weekend I shot 15 rolls of 35mm 160NC (using M6 and 50mm/90mm Apo Asph) and
> 10 rolls of 120 400NC (using Hassy 503CW and 180mm f/4) and the results were
> stunning.  The flesh tones were exact in their colour and contrast and the
> glow of the Leica and Zeiss glass was definitely there.  Yes, I agree that
> the colour saturation is less (and I would use the VC Portra if colour
> saturation was an issue) but I believe that accurate rendition of skin tones
> is worth the sacrifice, especially when the commission is to produce
> portrait work.  The clarity and fineness of detail was (IMHO) exceptional.

Funny, I just scanned one of the images, and did get better results than the
lab gave me -- it's on the Web at:
 http://www.dysmedia.com/Photography/edennomad.html

Not great, but better than what the lab turned out.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this film compared to Fuji NPS 160, which
is my choice for skin tones.  For some situations -- overcast days, for
instance -- I prefer NPS to Reala.

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Portra)