Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Hewes reels revisited
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:32:33 -0500

> If you aren't doing so already, pre-load the leader into the reel before
> going into the darkroom.  Just be careful not to drop either end or
> you'll quickly have a rather overexposed roll of film.  Hmm... Which falls
> faster: a reel or a film cannister...  A ton of bricks or a ton of
> feathers...

Now that's something I never considered.  You mean you leave the film in its
cannister when loading your reels, then cut when you get to the end?  Or do
you just thread the leader (which I usually cut) first, then open up the
cannister when you're in the darkroom?

Here's what I've been doing:

In the dark:

1. Open cannister (I don't leave the leader out, so I have no choice) and
remove the film.

2. Snip the short portion of the leader, so the end is even width with the
rest of the film strip.

3. Thread the end into the middle of the reel, making sure the sprocket
holes catch on the two teeth.

4. Wind the film by squeezing it slightly between thumb and forefinger of my
right hand, positioned against the outer edge of the reel, while turning the
reel with my left hand.

5. Curse profusely when the damn thing buckles, as it invariably does. :(

Dan