Subject: [Leica] Re: Delta 400 vs Tmax 400
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:02:38 -0800

At 01:33 AM 2/22/01 -0800, Mark Cohen wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I was recently at Keeble and Shucket and while I was speaking to the sales
>person, (Who shoots leica, and infact has some of his Cuba shots in a Leica
>Mag) he let me see some of his work. All 5x7. They had absolutely no grain..
>so I asked.... being the curious sort that I am, what type of film he uses.
>He replied that he had been given a couple rolls of Delta 400 to try out and
>he had fallen in love with it. I then noticed that his last shot was grainy
>and he replied that the person whom had developed that roll did so poorly.
>
>Mark Cohen
>(San Francisco)

Mark,

That was Paul Wood you talked to. He has a good photographic eye. He does
no darkroom work. He farms out everything to various people. He, therefore,
can't tell you anything about the exposure/development/printing of his
images. He uses an M3 and guesses at the exposure. He has been
photographing for a long time so has a good feel for exposure. His main
camera for many many years was/is a Nikon N60. Maybe now an N90. Always
used on auto.

I've known Paul for a very long time. A nicer guy you will never meet. Very
good artistic photographer. He has sold many of his Cuba prints, matted and
framed. Had a show at Hewlett Packard last year. Had a spread in Leica
Fotografie. As I said, he is a very good photographer. I like his work a
lot. But when it comes to detailed technical information...

If anyone wants to know about Delta 400 vs TMax 400, they should talk to
someone like Mark Rabiner.

Want a good 400 film... Tri-X in Xtol 1:3 by hand, 1:1 in a JOBO. SHARP!

But what I really like is T400CN developed 8:30 min @ 86 deg in a JOBO.
There are several stops of latitude and never any blocked highlights. Also
SHARP!

Paul, as we speak, has two "NEW" Leicaflex SL's in at KSP. Factory sealed,
never opened. Touched by no one after leaving Wetzlar. Black. One is $1595,
the other is $1895.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] Re: Re: Delta 400 vs Tmax 400)
Reply from "Julian Thomas" <julianthomas@terra.es> (Re: [Leica] Re: Delta 400 vs Tmax 400)