Subject: Re: [Leica] focus shift due to filter?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:00:38 -0700

The references to this matter that I aware of is in the "Legendary Leica
Lenses" articles by Dick Gilcreast in the LHSA Viewfinder. He mentions it in
the article on the 135mm Hektor and here is the relevant quote:

"The one caveat I should mention in using the Hektor is in the use of
filters with the lens in rangefinder mount. In common with most other long
lenses, Leica's as well as everybody else's, the glass in the filter will
change the infinity setting very slightly, making the lens focus just a
little beyond infinity at the largest apertures. It is well to either stop
down to moderate apertures or use reflex focusing when using filters at the
largest apertures at very long distances. I first noticed this effect with a
200mm f/4 Telyt many years ago, and it took a while to figure out what was
wrong. The effect in the Hektor is less than in the Telyt, but still
noticeable at infinity with the lens wide open."

I have not investigated this myself so I cannot confirm it.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] focus shift due to filter?)