Subject: [Leica] Re: 'Upgrading' from R7 to R6.2 or R8
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:05:38 -0800 (PST)

Bob wrote:

In industrial design quarters the R8 would be termed Unitary. The same
dynamic is at work in the design of cars. Either the designer
articulates the features of a product or integrates them to a greater
or lesser degree under an all inclusive functional smooth contour . . .
(Snip) . . . The Nikon FM family and the Leica M are articulated
designs. Most of the AF models are unitary. The iMac is unitary.
Unitary products are easy on the eyes and exude modernity.

I get the idea, Bob. I guess the R8 is unitary but preceding Rs are
articulated. To mention other examples, Canon EOS is unitary; and
Olympus OM is articulated while Olympus IS is unitary. Right?

I've been scratching my head, trying to think of the first unitary
camera design I noticed (decades ago) - then I suddenly remembered: it
was the Kodak Brownie 127 of the 1950s: my first camera! And that's
what the R8's style reminds me of. No wonder I felt nostagic when I saw
the R8. :-)

Regards,

=====
Ray