Subject: RE: [Leica] Two quick questions, please
From: "George Kenney" <gdkenney@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:17:36 -0500

Ah, OK.

It all started when I got a Black Lab puppy. And, naturally, I wanted
to take pictures of him. But I wasn't happy with my Nikon 6006
(which I'd bought to take to Bosnia with me during the war). It didn't
take good pictures, or maybe it was me. So I went looking for a new
camera, saw an M6 at a local dealer, he gave me a Leica catalog,
and after a day of thinking about it I bought the M6 with a 50/2 lens.
Then after working with it a bit I thought, 'hey, this is a wonderful
little gadget.' And started buying more Leica stuff.

Don't know much about photography. Did a little developing of film
and prints in High School, lo these many years ago. Have shot the
occasional snapshots ever since.

With the Leicas mostly I've been taking pictures of my dog, Hugo,
and two cats, Buster and Ginger, plus occasionally my girlfriend,
Sharon, a UCC minister who doesn't like having her picture taken.
Also a few shots in parks around the DC area.

Now, I already bought a Jeep Wrangler for the dog, to take him out
to the park, so I figured why not a camera? Probably I'll branch out
in terms of subject matter, but it may take a while.

As for classes, I found a course in basic photography from a
community center at Glen Echo National Park, near DC on the
Potomac. I'll start in about a month. People who know a little about
the arts tell me that classes there are actually better than at the
Corcoran in downtown DC. Maybe, maybe not. But it's a fairly well
heeled neighborhood so I doubt anyone in intro photo will bat an
eye at a Leica. I'm hopeful I'll learn something useful.

I have been looking at books, but at a certain point I'm a skeptic.
Given my experience writing, which has been published fairly
widely, tho not recently, including in the NYT Sunday Magazine, I
find that most people (including editors) who profess to be 'experts'
when it comes to written words don't know so much. And that the
market for writing horribly skews what otherwise could be an
interesting and fulfilling creative experience. I assume the same
holds true in the world of photography. Mostly, then, I'm trying to
learn about taking pictures to please myself.

Cheers,

G.

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Two quick questions, please)