Subject: Re: [Leica] 28/2.0 Summicron
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:03:53 EST

Robert, I shot 5 rolls with the 28/2 at Photokina. Leica graciously lent me a
0,58 M6TTL and the 28/2. Performance wise it is a very capable lens and the
extra stop could be useful. I have a 3rd generation of the 28/2,8 that I have
had since new (1981) and that is an extremely good lens, although it is now
getting somewhat beaten up. I was tempted by the 28/2 but at US$ 1900 (quoted
price earlier this year) I found it a bit steep for 1 stop more speed. I also
tried out the Voigtlander 28/1,9 and looking at the negs from both, I can't
really tell them apart. The 28/1,9 is similar in size to the 28/2 but the
hood intrudes much less in the finder. With the 0,58 the 28/2 hood blocks
almost 1/4 of the finder - the Voightlander has a smaller hood and thus less
intrusion. I haven't seen the final price of the 28/1,9 but it was quoted at
around $700-750 in October. Release date is set to be March this year. I hope
to have a chance to shoot both of these lenses side by side for a more
extended period of time later this year.
Tom A