Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica R Vario Elmarit 35-70/2.8 ASPH.
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:09:22 -0500

> Jim Brick wrote:
>
>> These things have a market. Albeit very specialized. I suspect that the
>> money that they would have to charge for the 35-70/2.8 in order to just
>> break over the life of the lens, would be astronomical, hence, no
> lens.<<<<<
>
> Hi Jim,
> I'm sure you've hit it on the nail, cost.
>
> The cost of production and selling any lens can become astronomical  and no
> one other than a few who are well endowed at the bank or a big company
> buying the gear can afford them. But the general Leica user can't afford
> them other than seeing pictures of the lens and dreaming.
>
> Right here on the LUG I'd venture to say there aren't too many who can pop
> right out of their pocket $5000 without blinking an eye for a 70 - 180 or a
> 280mm - 400mm combination at $8 to $10 grand, if not higher.
>

> But it's just plain economic sense to produce a lens that people can afford,
> it's all well and good to turnout the finest lens in the world but heck if
> only a few can afford them, what's the point of building them? Isn't profit
> supposed to be in selling many?
>
> Apropos my report to Leica in 1988 after using the 400mm 2.8 prototype lens.
> I had nothing but praise for it other than a couple of physical changes for
> ease of handling. But my main question was the cost, at that time to be sold
> for approximately $20,000 or higher, oh yeah that included a case! ;-)
>
> Otherwise you have the 35mm - 70mm  2.8 dilemma !
> ted

Lets face it, unless you are in the upper strata of professionals NOBODY (I
have yet to see, in more than 30 years, a pro newsman carrying a Leica SLR)
is going to pay that much money for a lens. And Pro photographers (with a
few oddball exceptions like Ted, Jim and Sal, and they probably get special
deals because of close Leica association) do NOT use SLR Leicas. Even the M
is not widely used by true professionals. Oh sure a lot of them have a token
M6 lurking in their bag.

That leaves the very wealthy to buy a $10 or $20,000 lens. So Leica is not
stupid why would they make a costly lens where they can only sell a few
hundred of them, if that.

I know that I will get tons of flames, but, my Nikor SLR lens are at least
95% as good as the best Leica SLR lens. And for $2000 I can fill my camera
bag full of Nikor lenses.

Leica's SLR and M future is solidly with the well heeled hobbyist. With the
M being their only reason for being in the camera business.

Steve
Annapolis