Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica R Vario Elmarit 35-70/2.8 ASPH.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:06:28 -0800

I played with the prototype in 1998. As with all Leica special R lenses, it
was very large. It dawned on me that I could carry a 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 60/2.8
and 80/1.4 in the same space and have f/1.4 available and macro capability.
So for me, even if it were available and cheap, it was not something that I
was interested in.

I bought the 70-180 APO zoom and it indeed was a stellar performer. But way
way too big and heavy for what it was.

These things have a market. Albeit very specialized. I suspect that the
money that they would have to charge for the 35-70/2.8 in order to just
break over the life of the lens, would be astronomical, hence, no lens.

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Leica R Vario Elmarit 35-70/2.8 ASPH.)