Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG OT: Computer Platform Stability
From: Barney Quinn <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:03:08 -0500

Martin,

I'm a Unix bigot, er professional. It's how I've made my living for the past two
decades. I'll take us a bit further off-topic. What the hey - it's better than
conspiracy theory and WW II. Yes, Unix is stable. Where I work we usually reboot
Unix servers which have been up for six months in the same spirit that they used
to administer sulpher-and-molasses in the spring time. Probably good for you.

Your post brought a thought to mind. Windoz and Mac OS were designed to be
commercial products, very much with the thought of making money in mind. And, to
be fair, they have. A lot of it. Unix folk just started out to make an operating
system. Think about the time and effort which has been devoted to developing Unix.
Bell Labs in the early days, the work done at Berkley, the work of the Athena
project which lead to X-windows ( which is a far superior windowing system, IMHO
:-) ) the work of the GNU project, SGI, Sun Microsystems, Hewlett-Packard, and the
guys who build the Linux kernel, just to name a few. Says a lot about open
standards, I think.

No single company could possible afford to sink that much time and money into
development, and it shows in their products.

Barney Quinn