Subject: Re: [Leica] re: shutterbabe
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:00:26 -0600

>> Wow!
>>
>> You mean men and women are  * DIFFERENT * ?
>>
>> Henry
>> ;)
>Well, maybe. But more to the point I would certainly expect a female
>victim of, say, spousal abuse, to be more comfortably being trailed
>around by, say, Tina, than Ted..;-)....

Yes, good chance of that.
Or, it could go the other way just as well.
Being aware of our differences is important but to think that a female or
male photographer may or may not be capable based on their gender
demonstrates a bias or belief in a sterotype that disserves us all.

Women can do wars, men can do warm fuzzy things. It seems more natural
(IMO) the other way around. Still, I find knee jerk categorizations
demeaning.

I know YOU (or Kyle) are NOT saying this but to me this subject comes
right to the edge of "its a black story lets send a black to do it" or
"its about Jews lets send a Jew" Granted, shared cultural backgounds can
promote understanding but what about sharing different cultural
backgrounds?

What might happen if the male photographer who followed around the abuse
victim had never been beaten and cowed then got a good look at a victim's
life?

Might something good come of that?

Kyle - care to comment?

Henry