Subject: [Leica] finders etc.
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:42:57 -0500

I am quite certain that the replacement M6J finder & installation into my M6 cost me
somewhat less than $500 in the USA.

One periodically comes across M3 cameras with the M6J finder installed, as this is
what Leica has offered since 1994 as the replacement for DOA M3 finders - no M3
finders have been available from Leica for some time.

The main advantage of the M6J over the standard .85 is the absence of the 75mm frames
(for me this is an advantage). There is a better view of the frames but I also see a
slight increase in what may be field curvature. I would not say that the M6J is in
every way superior to the current .85x finder. For me, the M3 finder offers the best
view of all.

The M6J kit sold in the USA for $6495 upon release in 1994. It now sells for somewhat
less than that. Externally it is perhaps the most beautifully looking of all chrome
Leica M cameras (IMHO) but internally it suffers from the same quality control issues
which affected M6 cameras from that period.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal