Subject: [Leica] re: Friday WTB: Leica R 35-70/2.8 ASPH. ROM
From: Da-Jie Lin <dajielin@home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:22:58 -0800

Here below is my mail to Leica and their reply.  New hope?  Quite
unlikely!

- -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
     Von:    Da-Jie Lin [SMTP:dajielin@home.com]
     Gesendet am:    Donnerstag, 15. Februar 2001 05:28
     An:     Eberhard.Kuehne@leica-camera.com
     Cc:     Dr. Joseph Yao
     Betreff:        User request!

     Dear Mr. Lin,
     Thank you very much for your mail showing your great interest in
the 2.8/35-70mm lens. As you probably have learned from Dr.Yao
     we had to stop production due to production difficulties. Your
suggestion on outsourcing this lens is not possible as Leica is the only

     company who has the knowhow of grinding aspheric lens surfaces of
such large diameter as required for the 2.8/35-70mm lens.

     Never the less we are continuing to improve our production
technology in order to possibly produce the very special 2.8/35-70mm
     zoom lens at one time later on.When this is happening, information
will be send out for sure which gives you a chance to complete
     your Leica R system.

     Thank you very much for writing to me to express your great
interest in this lens.
     Kind regards
     Leica Camera AG
     E. K?hne
     Dear Sir:

     I am one of Leica M and R user and I am following the other LUGers
     email you rearding on the R 35-70mm f2.8 ASPH.  I want two of them
     complete my Leica R gear and it would be a shame if Leica cannot
give us
     a standard zoom with 2.8 aperture and non-rotating front element.
     Please resume the production or Leica is giving up all R users.
After
     investing a lot on my R system and have been waiting for almost two

     years, I believe I have the right to own one at least.  If you have

     problem to make them, please "outsource".  The current 35-70 f4 is
not
     up to the standard of users who would pay a lot for their
equipments
     like Leica R system, the front element rotates!

     Dajie Lin
     dajielin@home.com
     USA

     PS: Dr. Joseph, thanks for your efforts and put me in your list.