Subject: [Leica] Re: Nazi Paraphernalia
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:14:30 -0500

On 2/14/01 11:04 PM, Oliver Bryk expressed the following:

> I have seen more Nazi stuff in my youth than I care to remember, mostly
> under rather unpleasant circumstances. I suspect that people who are
> fascinated by such paraphernalia or collect them, hold similar political
> beliefs.

Couldn't agree more.  In fact, I used to feel more than a little
uncomfortable about using a camera from a company so strongly identified
with, for instance, the Luftwaffe.  I've heard stories recently, however --
I hope their true -- about Leica supplying "sample" Leicas to Jews trying to
escape, and that these expedited things at the border.  Now if only I could
find evidence that Franke & Heidecke had behaved honorably, I might feel a
bit better about carrying a Rolleiflex.

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Nazi Paraphernalia)