Subject: [Leica] [LEICA] 'Upgrading' from R7 to R6.2 or R8
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:24:28 -0800 (PST)

Dear All,

I've been offered the chance, by a dealer here in Jakarta, where I
live, to buy a brand new R6.2 for US$1100 or a new R8 for about $100
more; however, I can't afford to buy one or the other unless I trade in
my existing R7. The dealer is the same one who sold me the R7, back in
November, and he is prepared to take it back as a trade, with a 'small'
reduction in its price, naturally!
I really like the R7 but it is 5 years old and I am aware that if it
fails it might be difficult and expensive to have it fixed here in
Jakarta. A new camera, being under warranty, would be less of a risk.
Assuming it's all above board, it seems like a good deal.

I am quite comfortable with manual exposure, so if I buy the R6.2 I
expect I'll be able to live without all the auto modes of the R7. The
R6.2 will still offer TTL flash and will be compatible with my Metz
32Z2, SCA 351 adapter and SCA 307A off-camera flash cord, so I won't
have to buy a bunch of new flash gear.

The R8, on the other hand, will have more auto modes and flexibility,
wider range of shutter speeds, higher flash synch. speed, etc. over and
above what the R7 already has. However, the R8 flash requirements are
quite different and I would have to change all of my existing flash
gear, as far as I know. I also don't know what difference it would make
that none of my 3-cam R lenses has ROM.

I would very much appreciate people's opinions or advice on the choice
facing me. I realise it's a decision only I can make but I'm new to
Leica and there's still a lot to learn.

Regards,

=====
Ray