Subject: Re: [Leica] Still looking for info on Aspherical lenses
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:41:38 -0500

A lens designer always has a number of constraints preventing him/her from
constructing a "perfect" lens.  When one aberation is corrected, another
one is introduced, or amplified.  The lens that we buy represents a well
balanced tradeoff between economics and performance where optical
aberations have been reduced to a point where overall performance is as
good as possible, limited by the price that the company feels people are
willing to spend on the lens.

I think that the introduction of aspherical lens elements is just another
tool in the bag of the designer, allowing for  simpler designs to get the
same level of performance in a lens.

dan c.

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Still looking for info on Aspherical lenses)