Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Lens for a 3f
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:07:29 -0800

>I would like to buy a 35mm lens for my Leica 3f. Is there any particular
>Leica LTM lens that shines out above the rest.
>Does anyone know where I can get ROR lens cleaning fluid in the UK.
>Fred Dickinson

Consider the Summaron 35/3.5. It's a fine lens that delivers great results.
I bought one from a Lugger last year, and have been more than satisfied
with the quality of the images I get with it. It's slow by today's
standards, and is certainly no match for the sharpness of the current 35
Summicron ASPH (which is also available in LTM), but it's a more than
competent performer *and* is a steal at about $300-$350. The following shot
was made "wide open" with a Summaron 35/3.5:

http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/photography_unclebills.html

If the Summaron didn't exist, I think I would have bought one of the new
Cosina 35s, not the "pancake" but the "classic." It's about the same price,
fits the LTM bodies (unlike the more hefty Cosina Ultron 35/1.7 which is
too huge for the small IIIF body), and is probably a good performer. That
said, I wouldn't trade the Summaron for it.

Guy