Subject: [Leica] Leica] Unfortunate accident removes red dot! Devastated in Victoria! :-(
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 17:29:44 -0800

At 09:22 AM 02/10/2001 -0800, Tim Spragens wrote:
>Try not to be too disheartened and keep your eye on eBay: the last one sold
>(in Mint+++ condition) for several hundred dollars but it beats throwing the
>dotless lens away. If Leica deigned to take on such an intricate procedure
>it is the kind of extensive repair job that would have to be sent back to
>Solms for half a year or so...;{)
>
>The big question is whether the old timer who applied these red dots to
>early Noctiluces has retired or not. The modern substitute is mere plastic
>whilst the original you have so carelessly lost was made of a rare
>radioactive resin now only available for military applications.

Actually, Ted has nothing to worry about.  The Red Dot is merely a tiny
plastic hemisphere, that is, half a ball.  If Ted were younger, it might
mean he would have a 25% greater difficulty producing children.  But this
is not of concern today.

I have a lens that is missing its red dot.  The only tangible effect this
had was on the price I paid for it.  So I am quite favorably disposed to
un-dotted lenses.  The previous owner replaced it with a dab of legendary
Formula RNP*, available at most drug stores, and at more Leica-like prices,
at the cosmetics counters of ROUDS*.

*Red Nail Polish
**Ridiculously Overpriced Upscale Department Stores

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA