Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: DOF -Optical vs Apparent -- Part 1
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:33:49 -0500

austin@darkroom.com jotted down the following:

> DOF is a characterization of any optical system.  Photography has adopted its
> own definition of it to mean what it wants it to mean, but outside of
> photography, it is characterized differently.  I have designed quite a number
> of digital imaging systems, that have nothing to do with humans viewing prints
> at a particular distance.  And, of course, these systems have DOF, and they
> are not subject to viewing a print at 1.5x the longest side of the print.
>
> I understand 'pohotographic' DOF as you are refering to it, but as I just
> said, there are MANY other DOFs.  I believe that may be one of the reasons you
> are having trouble understanding my points.

Ah!  Now we're getting somewhere.  Please post references to some of these
other definitions of DOF (whether on the web or not) where I can learn about
DOF outside of photography and figure out how it relates to photography.

M.

- --
Martin Howard              | There's a culture here which dictates that
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU| anyone who walks more than a few paces must
email: howard.390@osu.edu  | either be too poor to own [a car], clinically
www: http://mvhoward.i.am/ | insane, or British.    -- David Willis, BBCWS