Subject: Re: [Leica] focus inaccuracies: my test results
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:15:41 -0600

>And all you 75 fanatics: maybe the reason why your head shots are so hit or
>miss is because the focus ring on the lens goes too far--by at least an inch
>beyond the minimum focus distance for which the lens is specified.  I'd be
>very interested in hearing if other 75 owners have found that the lens is
>accurate to about 30 inches, but focuses too close for the rangefinder when
>the subject-film distance is less than that (and if you haven't tested this,
>you might want to try it).
>
>Dan
Hi Dan,

All that you wrote above is one of the very reasons that SLRs are made.

The Leica glass not working on the Hexar - you're on your own there.
I guess you need a Konica lens. As tempting as the Hexar is I'd bail on
it and get another M6. (no flames, my opinion)

For your 75, I suggest you contact a repair person and tell them what it
does and ask them about fixing the trouble. Stop speculating.

My 75 works exactly right. I use it mostly at f2 and 2.8 for a little
easier operation. 1.4 is still there if I really need it.

2.5 feet = 30 inches (where you state it works OK)
.7 meters = 27.3 inches (Leica claims is min focus distance)
so it seems there is a 2.7 inch difference in where it focuses correctly
and where you hit trouble.

The 75 goes to a higher repro ratio than any other M lens. At its closest
its too tight for a full human face. When I'm that close (I usually back
up a bit) I start the sway in and out method and stop using the focusing
ring. The main reason for out of focus shots is more to subject movement
or you moving the camera to re-compose after you've focused on the eye
(or whatever).

This is what SLRs are for.
OTOH carrying one extra lens is easier than a whole nother camera system.

Henry