Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: DOF, thanks Austin
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:27:13 -0800

At 6:20 PM -0500 2/8/01, Austin Franklin wrote:
>  > It is, moreover, TOTALLY standardized.
>
>Ah, that's why every resource cited gives a completely different DOF given
>the same criteria!
>
>It just isn't standardized.  Take two lenses from different manufacturers,
>or even different lenses from the same manufacturer with the same focal
>length...and the DOF scale will be different.  Here is an example of two
>35mm format lenses:
>
>Leica 35/1.4 ASPH f16 is infinity to 3"
>Zeiss/Contax 35/1.4 f16 is infinity to 4"
>
>And that is just one example, that took no work to easily find, so don't
>tell me this is totally standardized.  If it is, obviously, either Zeiss or
>Leica doesn't pay attention to the supposed standard.

        INFINITY TO 3 OR 4 INCHES????

Your circle of confusion is an order of magnitude larger than that of
most people.

BTW, the Leica 35/1.4 ASPH (or Summicron 35 or any other Leica 35) at
f/16 is engraved infinity to 4ft. when set at the hyperfocal distance.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com