Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: DOF
From: "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:55:53 +1000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Rabiner" <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 4:30 AM

> Rob Heyman wrote:
> >
> > It would only be noticeable if the viewing distance did not change. The
> > accepted viewing distance for a print is 1.5 times the diagonal. This
allows
> > the human eye to see the entire image without "scanning". If we apply
this
> > to an 10x8 the viewing distance is just under 13". To view a 60"x40"
from
> > the same neg we should stand at around 80". In both cases our eye will
see
> > the same amount of detail  and the same amount of grain. DOF or even
> > apparent DOF does not change.

> from a practical point of view a normal lens on a 35mm camera is one inch:
> so you've got a 30 inch viewing distance

????????????????Mark, I think you have misunderstood. I am referring the the
diagonal of the PRINT, not the diagonal of the negative, and it doesn't
matter whether we are using a normal lens or a telephoto, to see the entire
PRINT comfortably you need to view it from a distance of 1.5 times the
diagonal of the PRINT. This means that any fault you cannot see on a 10x8
print viewed from about 13", you will not see on a 60x40 print at 80". Of
course if we use larger format there will be differences in grain or quality
of the image, but I am talking about different PRINT sizes from the same
NEGATIVE.

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: DOF)
Message from "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: DOF)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: DOF)