Subject: Re: [Leica] QC and the Bosses
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 14:37:51 -0500

Frank Filippone jotted down the following:

> One of the interesting items that came from my study of the serial numbers
> of the M6HM was that as a group, the LUG represents about 3% of all Leica
> purchasers.  ( about 75-100 cameras were reported in about the first 6
> months against a total production of 3000-odd).  This gives us a good
> statistical basis to determine trends.

Good statistical basis?  From a self-selected sample?  Yeah, right.

> If we are seeing a "return rate" of even 1% on our LUG equipment, then we
> have been failed by the manufacturer.  Can you imagine your reaction to
> getting a new car whose engine does not function?  How about a new
> refrigerator that keeps food at a nice warm 54 degrees F?  A new house whose
> hot and cold taps are randomly different ( left and right ) throughout the
> house?

So, I suppose that the equivalent problems with Leica cameras would be ones
that don't work out of the box, that consistenly overexpose by two stops, or
that thas the lens flange mounted on the back door.  Come on, these are not
the problems people have been experiencing (except the first in one or two
instances).

Look, people, can we please get real?  Instead of navel gazing and letting
tempers run rampant, would someone PLEASE COLLECT SOME DAMN REAL WORLD DATA
about the state of things?  One person gets a lens with two dust specks in
it, and before you can say 100mm f/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R, Leica is
producing products whose quality is inferior to Kiev SLRs.

At the moment, all I see is opinionated arguing without any empirical basis.
That doesn't get us, nor Leica, nowhere.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "I am Pentium of Borg.  Division is
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | futile.  You will be approximated."
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |                            -- Unknown