Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:06:56 -0800

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> > I suspect that, that is what everyone, using an RF camera, does. For large
> > blow-ups, think f/8, shoot at f/16. With the newer APO & ASPH lenses, this
> > is critical. You can relax this when using older non modern design lenses.
>
> But then doesn't diffraction rear its ugly head?
>
> Dan

If you are doing one of those "deep focus" shots in 35mm there is not other option.
I've worked extensively* like this in 35mm and medium format (Zeiss) and I've
never noticed diffraction problems.
The ultimo would be to use a camera with swings and tilts so you could not have
to stop down so much.
But i think people who shoot that stuff, large format stop down almost all the
way anyway.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
*updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)