Subject: [Leica] 1/3-2/3 (Jacques Bilinski)
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:51:54 -0800

The online DOF calculator that I used was obviously flawed. Look at any DOF
chart or even your Leica lens and you will see that DOF extends farther
behind than in front by roughly 1/3-2/3.

To prove this, take a 50mm lens (mine is a Summilux) and set both 2 and 10
meters on f/16. Then read what is opposite the center mark. It will be
slightly over 3 meters. 3+ is not half way between 2 and 10.

Another way is to use a SLR and put a tape measure in front of the lens,
obviously going straight away. Focus on say five feet. Then using DOF
preview, start stopping down and watch what comes into focus. 1/3 front,
2/3 back.

Or buy a good photo book like The Manual of Photography or The Hasselblad
Manual, both of which describe this fact with ample drawings.

I apologize for the apparent error in my example that you quoted below. I
used one of those online DOF calculators and typed in the result without
thinking about it other than the actual depth of the DOF in both cases.

Sorry,

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] 1/3-2/3 (Jacques Bilinski; Jim Brick))