Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF DOESN'T EXIST! (was: how can the 75 Lux focusgobad?)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:26:26 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> Mark Rabiner jotted down the following:
>
> > DOF for me is lining up what i want in focus so it fits in between the 8's and
> > then shooting at f11.
>
> Yep, that's exactly what I do too.  To me, most of the time, it looks good,
> but then I rarely print over 8x10" and never over 11x14".  BTW -- if you
> shoot things at "infinity" and want DOF to cover that, there was an
> interesting article some time back in (I think) Photo Techniques about how
> you can get better looking photographs by focussing at infinity and using a
> small aperture size.  I think it might also be on the web.
>
> M.

I really try to get sharp foregrounds as much as possible unless it's a grab shot.
If a foreground is a little soft I'll darken the hell out of it in a print. The
bottom of the print.
But for the horizons and clouds to get soft in the background i think looks ok
half the times.
We expect way back there to be soft.

markrabiner