Subject: Re: [Leica] ASA, exposing, developing, T400CN
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:43:48 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:
><Snip>
> The difference is "where" you point your meter when you take a reading. If
> you give precedence to the shadows, you will end up using a higher ASA to
> get good printable negatives. Perhaps 800 for Tri-X. If you favor the
> highlights (like with transparency film) you will end up using a lower ASA
> (probably 200 for Tri-X) to get the same good printable negatives.
> Remember, your meter sees everything as if it were neutral (approximately
> 18% gray).
>
><Snip>

Jim the way i see it is it's not WHERE they decide to point their meter but HOW
they PROCESS that information.

Or more to the point: IF!!!! they PROCESS that information at all cause to me
it's weird if they don't.

Do they take a reading of the high tones and just set the camera to that reading
as a matter of course?
THis would lead to underexposing to say the least!!!
If so we hope they learn to set their ASA to 200 or lower to compensate for the
fact that they are placing their highlights where there mid tones should be.

The thing to have to done when pointing a meter at the high tones is to then
open up some for that reading.
If you don't open up some. You've underexposed.
To do it all the time. You're under exposing all the time.
So set it at ASA 200 to compensate!!!!!!!?!!!!&^%$#@
The trouble is: This sounds CRAZY to me!!! I know that is saying a LOT!!!!

The whole argument can be turned upside down for those who aim their meters at
the shadows ALL THE TIME and just GO with those readings.
They've OVER exposed. The lens would have be stopped down some FROM that reading
to not over expose:
to PLACE those areas in the shadows where they belong. They are over exposing
all the time. And need to set their ASA dial higher to compensate for that crazy
system. I don't' know THAT SURE SOUNDS CRAZY TOO!!!
Maybe I'm easily freaked out!

People need to be taught how to process the information they get when they point
their meter somewhere,
That's why some zone system learnings ain't so bad.

mark rabiner

Message from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] ASA, exposing, developing, T400CN)