Subject: Re: [Leica] Color vs. B&W
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:22:22 -0700

I have exactly the same problem. I am trying to settle on one film to use
exclusively but keep bouncing back and forth between colour and black and
white. What is worse is that, unlike many on this list, I can only see in
one or the other. When shooting colour my brain is sensitive to the nuances
and subtle interplay of colours. When shooting black and white, it is the
slight tonal differences that I pick up on. I think I enjoy the sensations
from being colour sensitive the most; it is quite a high as you walk along
watching the subtle shifts in colours in the view. I am a little frustrated
in black and white right now as my son is enrolled in a dance class with a
floor that is exactly a flesh tone and colour and I mean exactly. I cannot
filter it and the only thing I can do is shoot very low or underexpose and
pop a little fill flash. Gets a guy depressed after awhile.

John Collier