Subject: Re: [Leica] Persecuted for using tripod in public
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:13:42 -0600

>While I expense my equipment through depreciation, nothing as been as
>good as digital photography coming into the everyday work world. In a
>way digital photography for commercial work is probably the best thing
>that's happened in a long photographic time. I don't have materials
>costs, aside from the initial flashcard cost. No processing costs. No
>shipping costs, as everything is emailed. Lastly, and Most of all, the
>reduction of the usual all consuming post-production travel time. What
>it has done is free up a decent chunk of change, and time, that could go
>elsewhere. In my case pursuing personal projects. Buying extra gear and
>materials is much less of a problem for these projects than it used to be.
>

>Slobodan Dimitrov

Careful here.
Remember that you did have to BUY the digital gear and also remember that
in a few years it will be worth NOTHING compared to your purchase cost!

I've been digital since the possibility was open to mere mortals. I've
spent a LOT of money on it. I currently have a camera that is about 6
years old that cost $10,000 to buy and now is no longer supported by the
manufacturer. I doubt that I could get more than $1000 -1500 for it right
now, if that.  If it breaks well, its over with! Granted over the years
I've made a good bit of money with it. But my point is that there was
still a cost of doing business involved even if it was not for film or
processing. Its not like buying a Leica or a Hasselblad and then 5 years
later its still worth a good bit of what you paid for it.

You still have costs of doing business - they are just named differently
now in digi-world. Obviously you are doing OK since you have money to
spend on personal projects. And I agree that digital is a great thing. I
make lots of money that way. But it has its own costs!

Henry Ambrose