Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: V35
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:05:06 -0000

The proper 40mm lens will cost a bundle, (around 1-200 UKP) though Hoya
made a much cheaper 40mm equivalent.
Any other (50mm) lens can be used fine (in fact the V35 was originally
supplied with these, a Rodenstock Ysaron 50/2.5) but will of course have to
be manually focused (unless you have the early/rare 50mm cam still
installed.)

Depending on whether the enlargers are the first or second type for light
bulbs, these could be easy to rectify, e.g. just plug a bulb into the
'flying' socket and screw the rear retainer back in. If the socket is
missing (you describe it as having 'a wire dangling down') don't worry too
much, these often corrode internally (from electrical shorting) and would
probably need replacement anyway. The ceramic sockets should be available
from electronic supply shops, Maplins, Radio Shack etc. It's simply a case
of terminating the two wires, polarity is not critical. Cost, maybe 2-3
UKP?

Replacing the bulb is something to be thought about. The early bulbs
(Philips 6604) I believe are unobtainable and were replaced with the
Philips 13139. These require a two part bulb holding adapter whereas the
early V35 had only a single tube with conical inset to support the bulb.
The current bulb holder is a pair of tubes which hold the bulb in between
them, the rear tube having a pair of LUGs (on topic ;-)) to screw the rear
tube into the mounting tunnel. If the enlarger only has the early single
retainer the replacement bits are starting to get pricey I'd have
thought... the conversion kit was something Leica sold plenty of though and
should likely still have in stock.

The bulbs (Philips 13139) are around 12-13 UKP here, a decent enlarging
lens can be had for maybe 50 UKP. Many fine photos were printed with the
venerable 50mm Elmar of course, if you have one you could use that until a
decent replacement became available.

Having read the later post about the missing neg carriers, things are not
as bad as may seem. As Leitz made several alternatives to the item sent out
with the unit from the factory, these have been in a fairly frequently
available supply. I found a spare, quite cheaply, and filed out the rebate
to allow a black border to be printed. I paid 25 UKP for mine.
Alternatives are the standard 24x36mm, (17 003)
Glassless holder, 24 x 36mm (others generally have top anti-newton ring
glass only) 17 431
Two sided glass holder (for those who love cleaning dusty surfaces...) 17
002
Oversize for black borders, 25 x 37mm (doesn't work with v. wide angle
lenses e.g. Super Angulon, etc.) 17 011
28 x 28mm (17 007)
Slide holder 50x50mm (17 419)
Minox (?) size 13 x 17mm (17 424)
So there are plenty to look for! Just remember that darkroom kit is almost
having to be given away these days so you can bargain really hard to get
the price down.

best wishes,
Jem