Subject: [Leica] re: specks in new leica lens
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:24:05 EST

I suppose it depends on whether you are running a photography operation or a
museum.

If a museum, then by all means, examine the whole thing with a microscope,
report any deviation from perfection in triplicate and demand it be made
right. Be sure and keep it under glass sealed in a helium atmosphere to
prevent oxidation while you are at it.

If you intend to take pictures with it, then why not do so before going off
the handle, as so many on this list are wont to do? Loose elements, cracked
mounts, missing screws and obvious bad work/defective materials are one
thing, but dust specks? I sincerely doubt any specks you see are able to
block any measurable amount of light or change the path of any light, or in
any way effect your final image. And, if you DO actually use it to take
pictures, it will quickly gather more dust and dings and so forth than you
could possibly be seeing now, and if you are a real photographer you won't
care, you'll just keep cleaning the elements on the outside and taking
pictures.

But you are obviously in the throes of a "he dinged my new car!" frenzy,
which can drive you nuts. This is why I buy only used lenses -- they come
pre-dinged and I can get down to enjoying what I'm doing.

ctrentelman
seen this thread too many times before
utah

Replies: Reply from "matt" <mahv@xtra.co.nz> (Re: [Leica] re: specks in new leica lens)