Subject: [Leica] 2nd Central Camera as great store
From: Matt Kollasch <matthew.kollasch@uni.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:46:50 -0600

i agree with bill... it is funky, long narrow store in 102nd year of
business with a robust inventory and  competitive prices. vist them on
the web at http://www.centralcamera.com
/matt

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:10:16 -0600
From: "Bill Christensen" <williamc@speedsite.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Chicago shops

IMHO, the two best stores in Chgo are Central Camera at 232 S. Wabash
(west
side of the road beneath the train tracks).  Central is not the most
modern
store in appearance but the sales staff is friendly.  Ask for either
Joe,
the manager, or Don, the owner.  For Leica, Central is the best in the
downtown area.  Calumet, on Cherry St, is great for studio and darkroom
equipment but has just a few Leica items in stock.

One other large store, Helix, is located about 1mile west of the
downtown
area and has a good stock of Leica equipment.  I am not the greatest fan
of
Helix (310 S. Racine) based upon my friends' and my own direct
experience
there.  All 3 stores have web sites.

If you are in Chgo from the second week of Feb through early March, you
may
wish to stop by the Catherine Edelmann Gallery on Superior, which will
feature Michael Kenna's recent images.

Enjoy the Windy City!

Bill Christensen