Subject: Re: [Leica] Has anyone read Shutterbabe yet?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 21:16:09 -0500

I don't know how I overlooked that line!  I read it three times looking for
the word "mother" and missed it totally.

Yes, I see what you mean, Paul.  I read it as women supporting each other
in a male-dominated profession, but it could be interpreted as a feminist
rejection of a woman who tries to get ahead by being "one of the guys."  I
guess I'll read the book before I jump to conclusions, too.

Thanks -

Tina

At 08:33 PM 2/1/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Here's the motherhood line I was referring to:
>
>"Kogan, who left photojournalism for TV news in 1992, and then left
>journalism altogether in 1998 to become a full-time  mom, is not,
>contrary to the media buzz around the book, some kind of neo-fem
>heroine to women journalists."
>
>This one left me with the "feminist polemic" feeling"
>
>"I'm grateful to the women who took me under their wing, pointing out
>how nice those khakis and that sensible, and loose, white T-shirt
>looked on me, sharing their contacts and giving me assignments. Women,
>not men, taught me how to interview soldiers and how to hide, and then
>run, when someone is shooting at you."
>
>To me this reads as a two-level argument.  On the surface it's
>sensible - women do need to support each other, especially in
>male-dominated professions.  On another level, because she's reviewing
>Kogan's book and by implication her actions, she seems to be saying
>"Kogan was not grateful to the women in her profession.  She did not
>seek them out to accept or provide support.  Instead she sought to
>emulate the men.  Her masculine sexual promiscuity proves who she
>really sided with, and it wasn't us."
>
>Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I still want to read the
>book and form my own opinions.
>
> From Mars,
>Paul

Tina Manley, ASMP