Subject: Re: [Leica] re: Collapse-able Summicron 50mm
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:32:14 -0500

At 01:03 PM 2/1/2001 -0500, Michael Waldron wrote:
>I have the collapse-able as it was on the M2 I bought.  When I got it there
>were some cleaning marks on the front, so it seems soft.  I use a hood
>(12585).  I am not sure if it is multi-coated (I guess not) but it is
>definitely coated.

More likely, these "cleaning marks" are in the coating and not in the glass
itself.  It is decidedly NOT "multi-coated", as Asahi and Zeiss had not
developed this process until the collapsible 2/5cm had been out of
production for a few years.  In fact, your lens almost certainly has a
drip-coating somewhat inferior to the vacuum-coating developed by Zeiss and
Kodak and Wollensak and Ross in the late 1930's.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!