Subject: RE: [Leica] star pattern in lights when stopped down...
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:22:09 -0800

At 11:41 AM -0500 2/1/01, Austin Franklin wrote:
>Why do you get double the number of points when you have an odd number of
>blades?

The effect is diffraction based. It occurs at all times, even with
wider apertures, only the diffraction effect is fairly constant, so
only becomes visible when the rest of the opening providing the image
is small.

Each edge produces a diffraction 'star point' in each direction. When
there is an even number of blades, the opposite blades produce
diffraction 'star points' in the same directions, so you have: two
blades, two 'star points'. When there are and odd number of blades,
each blade will produce two 'star points'; therefore double the
number of 'star points' as blades.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design