Subject: RE: [Leica] Has anyone read Shutterbabe yet?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:14:51 -0500

Thanks, Tim.  That was a very interesting review.  I had just ordered
Shutterbabe from Amazon when I read your e-mail.  Now I'm not sure I want
to read it.  I hope the author of the review - Janet Reitman - will write a
book about being a woman photojournalist, too.  I'm not sure about the sour
grapes.  Deborah Copaken Kogan didn't have a very long photojournalism
career either.  The review sounds like the book is more about sex than
photography.  I hope not.  That would indicate that Kogan (and by
implication possibly other women photojournalists) used her sex to get
ahead instead of her talent.  One of the Amazon reviews by a feminist
criticized the book because in the end she gives up her career to be a
mother.  It certainly is hard being a woman in a man's world (except on the
LUG)!!

Tina

At 12:04 PM 2/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm waiting to read it, looks interesting, but check out a negative review -
>some good points, but maybe some sour grapes too? She did have a pretty
>short photojournalism/journalism career:
>
>http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2001/01/29/shutterbabe/index.html
>

>Tim A

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com