Subject: Re: [Leica] I use UVa filters - when should is it critical to take them off -flare control
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:51:24 -0500

Mark,

I neglected to mention that indeed the smaller lens diameter of the front element on the 55mm Micro-Nikkor is also a factor in reducing the flare potential of the lens, along with the fact that it is so deeply recessed in the lens mount. I was NOT using a filter on my 55 Micro-Nikkor in the highly flare-prone boxing example below.  A filter would have protected the lens from the sweat and blood that often gets thrown onto the ringside photographers (and their lenses) during a boxing match - but would have potentially introduced the flare I was trying to avoid.

Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] UVa protecto)
Message from Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net> (Re: [Leica] I use UVa filters - when should is it critical to take them off -flare control)