Subject: Re: [Leica] HIE
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 00:29:46 -0800

>"Henning J. Wulff" wrote:
>><Snip>
>>  These are Kindermann tanks? If so, they're fine in normal (100w type)
>>  darkroom lighting. I wouldn't take them outdoors, but I've had some
>>  of these tanks for a long time, and they haven't destroyed any HIE
>>  yet.
>>
>Metal tanks with black plastic lids. Not Kinderman i'm pretty sure.
>Stainless steel.
>I'm a little worried the lids might not be light tight to UV or I R.
>And as this stuff is 12 bucks a roll and I've got to bracket like crazy.
>I'm going to take advantage of the fact that I'm using a rangefinder
>cam rea and
>get a filter which only transmits I R;
>no visible light.
>But right now just a regular red filter.
>They say to shoot it at asas 50 but not to meter though the filter.
>So i should to use a hand held meter and not meter TTL though the red filter?
>I know I'll live but i wonder if that is also really necessary.
>I'll know soon enough.
>
>mark rabiner

My Kindermann tanks are stainless with black plastic; use the same
Nikor reels as the reel Nikor tanks. They are _definitely_ UV tight;
most window glass is almost UV tight. I'm sure they are fine for the
IR that HIE is sensitive to.

Try to get at least an 89b filter; it is a lot more interesting than
the 25. An 87 is better yet, but then you are down to about EI25. Get
some gel filters and cut them to size to put behind a UV filter;
that's cheaper than ordering specific sizes in glass.

Note that for closeups you should open up a stop or two; and winter
also requires about a stop more as there is less IR bouncing around.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com