Subject: [Leica] Re: Film Dryers
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:46:01 EST

In a message dated 1/30/01 8:07:08 AM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< > A 100 watt light bulb inside at the bottom will supply ample heat for
> drying film at a reasonable speed.

Yeeek!  One drop of water on a 100W light bulb that's up to heat, and it'll
probably crack!  Also, water dripping around the bulb into the socket will
probably cause some problems too...  Unless I'm missing what you're
suggesting, I'd suggest re-thinking that one.

I have an old film dryer that I've used for 20 years made by the Statham
Instrument Company. I don't know if the company is still in business but they
made a variety of highly rated scientific equipment. The dryer functions the
same as the dessicators you probably used in chem lab. The dryer consists of
a plastic tube (PVC?) about 6" in diameter and 14" tall. A small fan is
mounted in the bottom. There is a large perforated can of silica gel about
the size of a #2 fruit can that sits in the tube just over the fan. A cover
closes the top of the tube.

Film is dried on the SS Nikkor reels. An open foam plastic disc is placed on
top of the silica gel can the Photoflow treated reels are shaken to get rid
of excess water and stacked on top of the foam. The tube is covered and the
fan started. Air is drawn downward through the film and moisture removed by
the silica gel. The air circulates upward through channels surrounding the
film chamber and the process repeats until the film is dry. Four rolls of 36
exposures take about 2 hours and dry absolutely spot and dust free. After
about 20 to 30 rolls have been dried the silica gel is regenerated in a 400
degree oven to remove the absorbed water.

In a lifetime in photography, this is the best, smallest and most efficient
dryer I have ever used. Sure beats drying the film in the microwave.

Larry Zeitlin