Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - how to spell 'lens'
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:43:53 -0500

on 1/30/01 3:45 PM, Paul Chefurka at Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com wrote:

> On the topic of languages evolving, a friend just gave me this wonderful
> example:
> "Seo sprac na gehweorfe? nawiht."
>
> It's in English, believe it or not.  the translation to modern English reads:
> "The language doesn't change nohow."

It's in Old English, not Modern English. These are radically different
languages. OE is really closer to Modern German than Modern English because
it lacks the Norman French and the Renaissance Latinisms that are now a
fundamental part of the language, plus it retains double negatives for
intensification and a Germanic word order and case structure (I think).
Someone who speaks better German than I can point out the similarities in
the above, but the connection between that sentence and Modern English is
perhaps more apparent if I translate it as:

The speech not a-warps no whit!
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com