Subject: Re: [Leica] @#&$$& Watermarks!!
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:13:19 -0800

Johnny Deadman wrote:
> drops and you still have too much!!! No wonder you have drying marks!!
> one drop for 2-reel tank......two drops for 5-reel tank  and I mean
DROPS!!<<<<<<<<

Hi Johnny,
I agree with you completely.  You don't "measure photoflo in any kind of
measuring device."

You open the bottle put your finger over the end and as soon as a couple of
drops go into the can with reels and water.... that's plenty!  Then agitate
the rolls, dump the photoflo down the drain.

Then if the reels are on a rod, lift the reels out,  plunge them in and out
of beaker or container with clean water. Don't jig the rod up and down, it's
in and out, period!

This will remove excess photoflo!

Remember, I said it's just a couple of very tiny drops into the film can and
yet I just said ...."plunge the reels into a beaker of clean water to remove
the "excess photoflo!" That shows you just how deadly this stuff is for
getting water marks if you get carried away with more than a couple of drops
!

So those of you measuring the stuff,  I suggest you cast that aside and use
the drops method. And as Johnny says, "I mean little drops!"  And never ever
use photoflo more than once! The old idea of mixing a gallon or whatever, is
ridiculous as you need this liquid just as fresh as the developer or you're
really asking for trouble sooner or later!

Now for the crucial part.- Hanging to dry!

When you are ready to hang the film, take a reel and hold it firmly in your
hand and with the flick of your arm and wrist,  snap the reel towards the
floor to throw off any excess liquid. I do this about a half dozen times as
hard as I can and then right into the drying cabinet, never any marks ever!

And if you don't have a drying cabinet, not to fret, just hang them where
there isn't any breeze that might be carrying dust particles. Martin, I hung
dozens of rolls each night in the bathroom in the old days and they dried
beautifully, no marks, no dust!  I've used this method for film hanging and
drying many years in different locations of the world.

And despite what some folks say about squeeging, that's another curse to
stop. As sooner or later the squeegee's will be the death of some of your
best negatives.

Best bet always:  The least possible contact with the negative surface at
anytime is my motto!

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant