Subject: Re: [Leica] Metz 40 MZ-3i vs. Leica SF-20
From: "john miller" <jamphoto@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 09:45:44 -0500

>From: Yaniv Gur <ygur@bluefishlabs.com>
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: [Leica] Metz 40 MZ-3i vs. Leica SF-20
>Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:14:33 -0500
>
>Hi all,
>
>I feel it's time to buy a flash gun for my leica M6TTL. I am trying to make
>a decision between the leica SF-20 and the Metz 40 MZ-3i. Does anyone in
>the
>group have experience with the Metz? I'm trying to keep my kit pretty small
>and I've never seen the Metz and I suspect it's big and heavy. Also, I
>checked out all the vivitars but decided that TTL flash metering is
>important for me.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Yaniv

Dear Yaniv,  I have been using Metz flashes for 20 years with great success.
  More specifically, I now use Metz 32-Z2 flashes with TTL modules on my M6
TTL cameras.  The 32-Z2 is not as powerful as the 40 but it is smaller and
better balanced to the camera.  I use the rotational capabilities of the
flash constantly.  The TTL module offers a choice of full TTL and a ratioed
fill flash with the easy flip of a switch.  These flashes are still large
compared to the SF-20.  The SF-20 is strickly a fill flash/ small pop flash
unit that offers compactness as it's major attribute. John