Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: What makes a good photo, by Ted Grant
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:44:57 -0000

Jim,
While I agree with Ted's perception on photography being 'spot on' for a
photojournalist, we have to remember that there are many avenues in which
the wonderful world of photography can lead us.

A scientist using his MDa atop his trusty microscope would no more
understand that his record photography is 'a feel thing' than some artists
I know who regard the act of making pictures as art, and therefore
(potentially) cerebral. Similarly, for mums at their children's parties,
just getting the kids in the viewfinder is all it takes, there's no need to
'feel' it; the kids are there, the shutter pops and the picture's in the
bag. The police photographer noting his latest admission to the cells does
not need to 'feel' it either... etc. etc.

I'm being a little argumentative here, but the basic premise is, 'don't
knock folks if they want to think about their photography before they take
the picture, (or explain it afterwards) it's just a different way of doing
things. It's not for everyone and by and large it doesn't align much with
Leica photography as it has become best known, i.e. photojournalism. But
let us be open to embracing different attitudes to photography in the same
way that we'd be open to different cultures, races, sexes and whatever else
is on the PC agenda these days.

Jem
(sermon over)