Subject: [Leica] Re: 90 Summicron vs. 90 Tele-Elmarit
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:28:13 -0500

Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com> wrote:

> I'm in a quandary. How does the 90/2 (last model before the APO)
> compare to the recent (or earlier) 90/2.8?
>
> On Erwin's site, he says it's no contest: the Summicron is a
> lesser lens. I have pointed out before, however, that I'm not
> an Erwinist: many things are more important to me than sharpness.
> Is the bokeh on the Summicron better? I take it the ergonomics
> aren't as nice -- seems to be a much larger and heavier lens.
> But if it throws a nicer image I'll be happy. Is it, for instance,
> comparable to a 50/2 Summicron?  Similar design, optically?
> Bokeh? I'm more than happy with *that* lens.

I've used both, prefer the Summicron and thus own one. It is larger &
heavier but not as large & heavy as the two earlier versions. At first I
considered the extra weight a minus but then realized this allows me to hold
camera & lens steadier. It's my favorite winter lens as the size makes it
easy to focus and set aperture with gloves on. Bokeh is IMO a match for that
of my DR Summicron...pleasing & unobtrusive blur, smooth transition from
sharp to blur. The lens throws lovely images. I like it!

- -Dave-