Subject: Re: [Leica] the one-second test
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:38:30 -0500

Lee Bacchus jotted down the following:

> Atget's peopleless shots worked because they were foreshadowing the end of
> an era as industrialization in Paris hit full stride.

I realize I'm going to get thoroughly publically roasted for admitting this
- -- especially by Johnny Deadman -- but I don't think Atget's photos do work.
They only work because they are a historical record, because we recognize
significance as a result of subsequent social change, but as photographs in
their own right, I find many of them quite bland, banal, and boring.  The
Eggelston of the 1910s, in black and white.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | People don't like to be parameters
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | in an equation.

Replies: Reply from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] the one-second test)