Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kodak Photo CD
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2001 11:03:38 -0800

On Fri, 26 January 2001, George Hartzell wrote:

<SNIP>
> Apparently the Pro scanners generally have
> higher dynamic range in addition to the extra resolution, but I
> haven't had enough experience to really comment.

My experience is that the Pro scanners have more dynamic range.  I have several photos that have been scanned with both the Master and Pro PhotoCD scanners and the difference is enough that shadow detail will be significantly better with the same highlight detail in the Pro scans.

> If you're a photoshop user, you have a choice of two ways to get the
> images from the CD into Photoshop.
>
>    - There's a folder in the CD named "Photos", which contains a set
>      of folders, one per resolution, that contain Pict files of each
>      image.  You can just open these directly and go.

This does not work with the highest-resolution Pro scans.

>    - There's a folder named PHOTO_CD that contains "pcd" files
>      (usually with funny semi-colons and crap in their name).  I use
>      the PhotoCD Acquire plug-in from
>
>      http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/software/pcdAcquireModule.shtml
>
>      to open these.  This module give you a lot of control over how
>      you move the image from the PhotoCD color space into your working
>      color space.

This is the only way to access the highest resolution Pro scans unless you drop $350 or so for Lasersoft's Silverfast PhotoCD software.  The demo version is free and IMHO gives much greater control over the image than the Kodak Acquire module does.  OTOH the Kodak software is completely free.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!