Subject: Re: [Leica] atget WAS the one-second test
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:16:19 -0500

on 1/26/01 12:07 AM, Lee Bacchus at lbacchus@home.com wrote:

> First of all, Martin, I basically agree with you about my "Restroom" shot.
> Atget's peopleless shots worked because they were foreshadowing the end of
> an era as industrialization in Paris hit full stride. Walter Benjamin
> described Atget's dawn street compositions as if "they were evidence at the
> scene of a crime."

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? I agree with you that Atget's photos
are great but not for the reasons WB cites or, really, that you give. That's
to treat him as if he were some species of sociological critic, which he
wasn't. WB is entitled to his reading of Atget's photos as he infers nothing
about intention but as to 'that's why they worked'...?

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com