Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kodak Photo CD
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2001 20:22:27 -0800

On Thu, 25 January 2001, "Bill Lawlor" wrote:

> Just when I was learning the slide scanning ropes on a Nikon LS2000 at
> school, it went "
> hardware error", and is just a paperweight at the moment. Somebody suggested
> I try Kodak Photo CD scans with the five different file sizes. I don't know
> when the scanner will be repaired so I am curious if any members of the list
> have suggestions or comments about using the Kodak Photo CD. The goal is
> printing slides with an Epson 1270 or 2000P.
> Thanks, Bill Lawlor

I've been using PhotoCD extensively for over a year, using LightJet 5000 and Fuji Frontier for prints.  It's not perfect but the standard PhotoCD scans are fine for prints up to 8x10 and the Pro PhotoCD scans have worked well up to 16x20.  The Pro PhotoCD scans also seem to have a better dmax than the standard scans.  I haven't tried prints larger than 16x20.  Supposedly these printers can interpolate to larger prints from my existing files but I haven't tried that either.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!